Friday, March 16, 2012

Reflections on the Girl Scouts

On March 12, 2012, the Girl Scouts celebrated its 100th anniversary.
This event stirred a few memories such as seeing the Girl Scouts Headquarters
in Savannah when I toured the city in 2000, and reminder of its founder,
Juliette Gordon Low.

A scout during my youth, I have cherished memories of being a part of
the first black Girl Scouts in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, founded by my
beloved fourth grade teacher at St. Peter's Catholic School, Miss Doretha
Daniels. This was 1944-1945. My sister, Jettie, and lifelong friend, Marinda were
part of this group. I remember singing songs that were foreign to me and
still remember to this day, like "Over in Killarney, an Irish Lullaby.

Who could forget those once a year awesome Girl Scout cookies? My
favorite became the shortbread. I have no idea what became of my
badge or pin. I regret there are no pictures. Cameras were rare in those
days.

I am sure I learned a lot of valuable life lessons, but it is the friendships
and relationships I remember the most.

2 comments:

  1. I see you've been busy Mrs. Finney, Keep up the Good posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many great women attribute much of their success to their experiences with Girl Scouts. I hope Lula Moore can see your blog in heaven.

    ReplyDelete