Saturday, September 8, 2012

Keys to a Happy Life, Part I, Keys 1 to 5

The March 2004 Reader's Digest cover story caught my eye: New Research---10 Simple Keys
to a Happy Life. The subtitle promised happiness within the reach of us all.

Ask almost anyone and they will tell you they desire happiness. But what makes for a happy life?
At the time of the Reader's Digest article, I had just finished reading Thomas Miezejesk's book,
The Meaning of Life. Also, in March, I joined a study group at my church on Rick Warren's
highly acclaimed book, A Purpose Driven Life. A lot of questions came to mind. Is a happy life,
a meaningful life, a purposeful life all the same? Herein lies my personal journey to look at these.

Since the dawn of civilization human beings have perhaps asked the question, Why am I here
on earth? Philosophers, theologians, and sages of every age have pondered the meaning and
purpose of life. But when the question is personally applied, I am in a fog.

Knowing and fulfilling one's God given purpose must be awesome and life enhancing. I
believe Mother Teresa and Dr, Martin Luther King, Jr. were among those who discovered
and fulfilled their life purpose.

At the outset Miezejeski challenged me to think of life as a journey requiring good
directions and the importance of pondering life's meaning for an appreciation of the
gift of life. I was optimistic that spiritual growth, insight, and revelations were always
possible. Surely self-study, self-examination, reflections would help me see more
clearly my spiritual gifts and purpose.

The Reader's Digest article cites ten keys the experts found account for happiness. The
article framed the background for comparisons of a happy life, a meaningful life,
a purposeful life, and a look at my own personal life and beliefs.

Key #1 is Wealth. People with money are happier. But once basic needs are satisfied
money no longer boots happiness but status become more important. Money buys
status and status makes people feel better. I have applied the principles of wealth
building on a social worker's salary. I was taught by my parents to always live within
my means, avoid conspicuous consumption or "keeing up with the Joneses."
Money has a place in our lives but not to be our master. The Bible tells us
where your treasure is your heart will also be. It is God that giveth thee power
to get wealth. Money has enabled me to endow my charitable interest, a social work
scholarship and peace fund through the Dayton Foundation.

Key # 2 is Desire. Desire is linked to happiness because people aspire for the good life
and material possessions make them feel good. The question is how much do you have
to have to feel good? Less than we think. We are buffeted by advertisements, our own
insecurities, and other external factors toward consumption out of a desire for
the good life. I have heard people say what money can't buy I don't want.
That is immature thinking. I might have thought like that as a teenager. When I was
older and realized that I had more than I needed, it was easier to share my resources
with others. Do not sacrifice meaning for money. Learn before it is too late that our
relationship with God and our family is more important. Simple acts of kindness
count. Love is the greatest gift and time waits for no one.

Key # 3 is Intelligence. Brighter people tend to earn more. I think of intelligence as the
sum total of a sound mind, not limited to the intellectually normal or gifted but the
property of anyone who discerns beauty, truth, and right actions. All of us or endowed
by the Creator. It is what we do with our endowment that matters.

Key # 4 is Genetics. Our feeling of well being and happiness is largely determined by
our genes. Our DNA makes us divine originals, unique and matchless. We are fearfully
and wonderfully made in the image of God, No one else is like you or me. Our happiness
set point, I believe, functions more effectively when we walk humbly and delight and
meditate on the laws of God.

Key # 5 is Beauty. Good-looking people are happier because life is kinder to the beautiful.
John Keats wrote a thing of beauty is a joy forever.... He also penned this familiar quote
Beauty is truth, truth beauty, that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know. We also
recognize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Beauty in people can be appealing,
prideful and vain. But favor based on beauty can be deceitful. Trust not that which
is skin deep and superficial. True beauty resides within reflecting that which is honorable
and true.

Continued Keys to a Happy Life, Part II
Keys 6 to 10

1 comment:

  1. Great advice.
    Keep up your wise writing.

    Bob Harris
    18Sept2012
    10:20 p.m.
    Yellow Springs.

    ReplyDelete