Sunday, May 14, 2017

My Corbin Research Journey: The Background Story


What inspired me to research and write about Joseph Carter Corbin?

Joseph Carter Corbin is an Ohioan. He was born in Chillicothe, Ohio and educated at Ohio University. Little is known about him in Ohio.

I first decided to research and write an article for the African American Genealogy Group of the Miami Valley ( AAGGMV) about Corbin's accomplishments and contributions to American education.

I completed the article, Joseph Carter Corbin, Educator Extraordinaire- Founder of the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff  in 2009. The article was published in AAGGMV #30, April 2, 2009, (Spring), Volume 8, Issue 2.

At the time the article was published I had two unanswered research questions: Where was Corbin buried?  Were there any Corbin descendants?

The question regarding Corbin's burial location eventually led to the location site and culminated with my dedication of headstones for Corbin, his wife and two sons on Memorial Day, May 27, 2013 at Forest Home Cemetery, Forest Park, Illinois.

The unexpected happened which would change my course as I never intended to pen a book.

During the fundraising for the Corbin headstones I received a contact through a Pine Bluff Commercial journalist who had written a story on the headstone dedication at Forest Park, Illinois.
The contact-donor was a gentleman in Los Angeles whom I did not know. He was married to a UAPB graduate. He was not a graduate of UAPB. He had been fascinated with the life of Professor Corbin. He intended to write a book. He now thought that unlikely and said he would send his research to me.

July 2, 2013: 2:00 P.M - Fedex delivers a large box of research papers on Joseph Carter Corbin from Lt. Colonel Solomon J. Jameson, U. S. Army Retired.  I was so taken by surprise I retreated to my bed, pondering the meaning of this. It soon becomes clear that I am to write the book.

Corbin's image and legacy continued to consume my consciousness. This extraordinary educator had not been fully elevated in history.

July 13, 2013: Friends drive me to Ohio University to meet with Ohio University President Roderick McDavis to solicit support in promoting Corbin's image and legacy in Ohio. As a result of this meeting an Ohio Historical Marker application was eventually submitted to the Ohio historical Society and approved in 2016.

2014, 2015, 2016: Time of researching, writing, designing Corbin's book. My research led me to libraries and archives in Arkansas, Illinois, and Ohio.

July 9, 2015: I established the Joseph Carter Corbin Memorial Scholarship at Ohio University to provide scholarships to full-time undergraduate students who are enrolled in the College of Arts & Sciences and who have demonstrated academic merit.

June 28, 2017:    
11:00 A.M.
Dedication Joseph Carter Corbin Ohio Historical Marker
Ohio University, Chillicothe Campus





No comments:

Post a Comment